Bathscape’s Community Action for Nature (CAN) team is contributing to this by assisting with practical conservation activities. The activities will vary depending on the season and the location; examples include tree planting, wildflower meadows and habitat management, scrub clearance and path works. The activities will take place in green spaces throughout Bath and the surrounding countryside.
Volunteers need no prior experience and no minimum commitment is required. All tools and equipment will be provided. Volunteers are asked to wear appropriate clothing and footwear for working outdoors and to bring a packed lunch.
Purpose of the role
To assist with practical conservation activities to conserve and restore grasslands and woodlands of Bathscape and increase the biodiversity of its green spaces.
Activities and timescale
With the support of the Bathscape lead partner, you will carry out a range of activities throughout the year. Activities include:
- Scrub clearance
- Grass cutting and raking
- Seed gathering, propagation and plug planting
- Hedgelaying and coppicing
- Tree and shrub care
- Habitat management and species identification
- Foot path maintenance
- Litter picking
We are seeking people who can volunteer regularly, ideally once a week. Activities usually take place on a Tuesday and/or Thursday. Volunteer placements can be short term, or ongoing, so please specify your availability on the Bathscape volunteer application form.
This role will suit people who
- Have an interest in conserving the landscape and its wildlife
- Like being outdoors in all types of the weather
- Enjoy volunteering as part of a team
- Want to learn more about habitat management
- Have some experience of practical conservation, or have no experience and want to learn new skills
Benefits of the role
- Make a real difference to improving the landscape, habitats and wildlife of Bath
- Develop knowledge and experience of conservation management techniques
- Gain practical hands on skills of habitat and species management, including using hand tools and species identification
- Have access to training sessions and informal skill sharing. There will also be opportunities for formal training for regular volunteers looking to up-skill
- Be part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Practical conservation is a fantastic opportunity to get some gentle exercise in the fresh air and meet new people
- In most circumstances, we will cover reasonable travel expenses to ensure that you have access to opportunities
- We can provide a volunteer reference
How to apply
Please complete the Bathscape volunteer application form online, specifying that you are interested in the Practical Conservation (CAN team) role. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a volunteer application, or telephone the Bathscape Volunteer Coordinator on 01225 477593.
This role is entirely voluntary and therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer placement is not intended to create a contract between us and any agreement can be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment contract to be created either now or any time in the future.