Bathscape is a 5 year landscape partnership project which aims to restore and reconnect people with the natural landscape around Bath. As part of this we run a year-round programme of walks, culminating in the annual Bathscape Walking Festival every September. Bathscape’s Walk Leaders contribute to this by leading walks covering different areas, themes, lengths and fitness levels. The walks start at various locations around Bath and explore the city and surrounding countryside.
In September 2019 the Bathscape Walking Festival offered over 50 free walks – the programme included historic walks where people could learn more about John Wood, Ralph Allen, William Beckford and Emperor Haile Selassie. Walks about champion and rare trees, gardens and climate change, plants and foraging. Slow-paced walks where people could take time to absorb their surroundings, such as the Mindfulness walk and the creative Postcard walks. Many walks are child friendly and connect families to nature, including our popular bat walks. There were also walks aimed at people wanting to improve their health and wellbeing, or taking their first steps to fitness. For more details visit bathscapewalkingfestival.co.uk
Purpose of the role
To inspire people to access the landscape setting of Bathscape and help them learn more about its heritage. To contribute to the development of walks during the Bathscape Walking Festival and seasonal walks throughout the year.
Activities and timescale
With the support of the Bathscape team you will:
- Develop your knowledge of the route
- Ensure people receive a warm, friendly welcome to the walks
- Introduce the walk and outline the route and themes to the group
- Alert people to any risks during the walk
- Communicate the theme or subject to the group in an engaging way
- Pace the walk to meet the needs of the group so that everyone feels included
- Respond to any concerns or questions about mobility and access
- Interact with the group and ensure the walk is an enjoyable experience for all
- Promote Bathscape’s work to the group, as appropriate
We are seeking people who can volunteer occasionally and/or participate in the Bathscape Walking Festival. Volunteer placements can be one-off, or ongoing, so please specify your availability on the Bathscape volunteer application form. If you have an idea for a walk and are happy to lead one, please get in touch. Alternatively, if you’d like to get involved but aren’t confident about leading a walk, we’re also looking for assistants.
This role will suit people who
- Have a positive, friendly and helpful attitude
- A great communicator with the confidence to speak with members of the public
- Enjoy talking to people and can bring information alive for a wide range of audiences
- Have an interest in all aspects of the heritage and natural history of Bath’s landscape
- Enjoy volunteering independently and as part of a team
- Have some experience of leading walks, or have no experience and want to learn how to lead walks
Benefits of the role
- This is a sociable role offering an uplifting time speaking to the public
- Make a real difference sparking people’s interest in Bath’s landscape and wildlife
- Develop knowledge and experience of leading or assisting with guided walks
- Gain public engagement and customer service experience
- Have access to training sessions and informal skill sharing
- Walk leading is a fantastic opportunity to get some gentle exercise in the fresh air and meet new people
- Be part of a friendly and dedicated team
- In most circumstances, we will cover reasonable travel expenses to ensure that you have access to opportunities
- We can provide a volunteer reference
How to apply
Please complete the Bathscape volunteer application form online, specifying that you are interested in being a Walk Leader. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a volunteer application, or telephone the Bathscape Volunteer Coordinator on 01225 477593.
This role is entirely voluntary and therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer placement is not intended to create a contract between us and any agreement can be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment contract to be created either now or any time in the future.